• Blog >
  • Halloween Tips for you & your pets
RSS Feed

Halloween Tips for you & your pets

Pet Halloween Safety Tips:

1. Pet costumes: Yes, your pet looks absolutely adorable in that costume! Keep in mind, your fuzzy family member might not be as thrilled with the outfit as you are. Feel free to get an amazing photo, but respect the fact that your pet may want to get out of those duds as soon as possible. Make sure the outfit is comfortable, and pay special attention to straps that may impinge upon the neck and areas where the extremities meet the body. Never leave a pet unaccompanied in a costume to avoid any “wardrobe malfunctions!”

2. No chocolate! : Most people know chocolate is toxic for their pets. Chocolate contains methyl xanthine, which can cause a variety of symptoms ranging from stomach upset to tremors, hyperthermia and seizures. At high doses, chocolate can lead to collapse and even death. Generally speaking, the darker and more concentrated the chocolate, the more dangerous it can be. There are helpful charts available (for instance on www.petMD.com) that can tell you what doses are dangerous for your pooch. If in doubt, it is always best to contact your veterinarian to see if immediate treatment is needed.
3. Watch out for Sugar-Free: Xylitol, an artificial sweetener found commonly in sugar-free gum as well as other products, can be extremely toxic to dogs. When ingested, it can cause a significant release of insulin, which can lead to extremely low blood sugars. At high doses, it can also lead to liver failure. If your pup has ingested this substance, always contact your veterinarian immediately; your pet may need treatment and supportive care
 4. Healthy treat dangers: If you’re offering healthy alternatives this Halloween, keep in mind that grapes and raisins can be extremely toxic to dogs. Some pets are more sensitive than others. In some animals, the toxin can lead to stomach upset initially, followed by kidney failure within 24 hours. It is always prudent to contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested these substances. If you have any questions please contact us at 402-397-2424

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Sunday:

CLOSED

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "I am very happy to have a new pet Tuff and delighted to be back under your kind compassionate care."
    Sincerely, Michele K. and Tuff